As a result of 20 months of war in Yemen, people have lost their jobs and the economy has almost collapsed. Hospitals, schools and farms have been destroyed. Two thirds of the population (18.8 million out of 27.4 million) are in urgent need of humanitarian assistance. More than 7 million people in Yemen do not know where their next meal will come from and children are dying from malnutrition.
- 4.5 million people require treatment or prevention services for malnutrition – almost a 150 per cent rise since late 2014. Children under five – including infants – and pregnant and breastfeeding women are the most affected.
- Some 3.1 million people have fled their homes as a result of the conflict. As of October 2016, nearly 2.2 million people remained displaced within Yemen, of which almost 1 million are children.
- A cholera outbreak continues in Yemen’s western areas. As of November 24, 2016, 103 confirmed cases in 31 districts and 6,121 suspected cases have been reported in 86 districts.
Emergency match funding
The Big Give has launched an emergency match funding campaign, coordinating closely with the DEC and other humanitarian organisations to double donations to alleviate the suffering of those in Yemen. Donations up to £500 to participating charities will be doubled whilst match funds last. Visit theBigGive.org.uk/yemen to help the crisis now.
How your donation will help
Charities are providing food and malnutrition treatment, water, hygiene and sanitation solutions. Further assistance is desperately needed to help millions suffering in Yemen.
- £25 could provide a month’s supply of life-saving peanut paste to a malnourished child
- £60 could provide clean drinking water for two families for a month
- £100 could provide supplies to a clinic treating severely malnourished children for a week
[tbg_button link=”https://secure.thebiggive.org.uk/schools/” style=”btn-danger” size=”btn-lg”] DOUBLE YOUR DONATION[/tbg_button]
If you would like to donate over £500, please contact the Big Give at firstname.lastname@example.org to make a contribution to the Yemen match fund.